Nancy Drew Called. She Wants Her Bookcase Back.

Last weekend I was that one girl I hate. A flurry of shopper ectoplasm, gently caressing fabric swatches and running a hand across finely chiseled wood. Ahem.

Ohhhhhh, baby…

Switching into decorating mode is a unheard of occurence. One weekend, maybe every five years, I come back out, hissing at the sunlight and loud noises, to do some power shopping. Then quietly, I go back into hibernation, fading into my easy, lazy oblivion. On Saturday and Sunday afternoon, I was like Honey Boo Boo on a Pixie Stick bender. Completely redoing our living room is a task of epic proportions. We bought a couch. A lamp. A glass coffee table that was just made for snorting coke. Clearly, I have high expectations.

Whee! A couch!

But I did buy an item that has no business in my living room. It’s going in my office. I bought a little bookcase that was on clearance at a place called The Dump. (Apparently you can’t shit on their floor; it’s false advertising at its finest, but that’s another story). But you can walk your child like a dog in the middle of the aisle so there’s that.

You don’t know how much my life was made for this moment.

The bookcase was just so cute and alone-looking I had to take it home with me.

“Help me, I’m old.”

However, it does have that eerie look to it…the one that says it used to be a haunted ancient artifact hiding in the attic until your shit of a grandson stole it and pawned it and now it’s in my house because I bought the motherfucker. I keep thinking it’s going to have some sort of gypsy curse on it and my entire office will be haunted. Which may not be such a bad thing.

The skull was included.

Now I know it’s supposed to hold books but I’m thinking I need to build a little shrine in it. Because it has that perfect look for a shrine. I keep picturing Marie Laveau and all the little trinkets I could offer it.

The Crayolas are a nice touch.

Either way, whatever I do with my new purchase, it will hold something special. Hopefully not that “something special” that would have Nancy Drew launching an investigation of the Case of the Haunted, Used Old Bookcase variety…but then again that may not be so bad. I can always get a story out of it.

And maybe a curse.

madridnm4

November 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Definitely a shrine!!! “I bought a little bookcase that was on clearance at a place called The Dump. (Apparently you can’t shit on their floor; it’s false advertising at its finest, but that’s another story). But you can walk your child like a dog in the middle of the aisle so there’s that.” Still laughing! LOVE your blogs, Jules!

November 12, 2012 at 2:22 am

Meg, you treat me so well! I love that you love my blogs!! Thank you for reading!!

Joani Reese (JP Reese)

November 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm

We have a Dump here, too. I have never been there, and now I have no reason to do so, as I am so disappointed its name belies its usefulness. The leashed kid is spectacular, and he’s so well trained, but his mom looks like she’s been into the doggy treats a bit too often…

November 12, 2012 at 2:21 am

thanks for reading Joani! The Dump was definitely an interesting place. Full of good writing fodder I’m sure.

November 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Funny Jules! :-)

November 12, 2012 at 3:01 am

Love the spooky shelves! It should hold something formidable and unexpected….like a monkey playing cymbals.