My Problem with the Olympics or AKA: Why I’m Un-American

As I type this I’ve sequestered myself in my office, hiding from these things you people call the Olympics.

I am not a fan. Like Lady Gaga, I’ve never understood the phenomenon. Frankly put, I don’t care for them. In fact, I heartily dislike them.

And as of this last week I’m beginning to think I’m the only one who feels negatively. It’s like an atrocious crime I’m committing when I admit this. Hell, I’m practically Vietcong. The looks of disdain I get when asked about the Olympics and I tentatively step up with, “I’m not a fan…” should be reserved for serial killers or at the very that neighbor who mows the lawn at five in the morning. In fact, I can’t count the number of times I’ve been called a communist.

I actually lied to my eye doctor last week. LIED about something I could give two shits about.

This is how the conversation went:

Doctor: “Have you been watching the Olympics?”

Me: “Oh, well I—”

Doc: “My wife and I just love the Olympics. We’ve been glued to them every night. Every goddamn night.”

Stares at me. Judges.

Me: “Oh yes. Yes, I love the Olympics as well. Especially the…uh, twirly sports…”

Doc: “Very good then.”

In the interest of self-preservation, what do I really say? The truth? Say out loud, “I seriously detest the Olympics.”  Do you know what kind of pariah I’d be? To flat out tell a total stranger you dislike an all-American sport is mind boggling.

And I like boggle.

This isn’t a persuasive piece. I don’t mean to woo you to my side.  I just want to tell my side of the Olympics in the hopes there are others so that we may join a support group and eat cookies together.

On Why I Hate the Olympics

1.      They remind me how slothful and talentless I am.

All my sins are virtually NOT validated when I watch the Olympics. Sloth is frowned upon and gluttony definitely won’t cut it.

What the floor of my bedroom looks like on a daily basis.

I’m continually reminded of what I can’t do and what I shouldn’t  do and also probably, maybe, what I won’t do. My list of cant’s and wont’s grows by the day. Granted, I’m a sorry sack of shit when it comes to exercise so it should come as no surprise that I actually don’t want to watch someone else sweat for a living.

This is my Olympics 2012.

Do you think I want to come home after a long day at work and watch some 16 year old perfect a flip she’s been working on since she was crawling? No. I don’t. I’m sorry. I want to come home and drink my wine, and pretend like my gluteus maximus is the shit.

When I see someone accomplish their life goal at age 18, it reminds me that all I’ve perfected in my day-to-day routine is cleaning the cat box and ordering a pizza in less than 30 seconds flat.

2.      My husband bogarts the TV. The Olympics will cause our divorce.

This is another reason why I hate the Olympics. They hijack anything good that’s supposed to be on TV. I mean is it too much to ask that new episodes of Ancient Aliens air? Broadcast and Cable are so scared that the precious Olympics will steal viewers they refuse to air anything new.

But I ask you, History Channel, what about me?  WHATABOUTME?

This also leaves me and my husband in a disastrous fight to the death about who owns the remote control. Eventually, because I’m a woman and have weak combat skills, he’ll claim it and I’ll scurry upstairs to watch DVR’d episodes of Duck Dynasty while consoling myself with a bowl of whip cream and peanut butter.

3.      I am the least competitive person alive.

You want this medal? Take it. My firstborn child? I’ll wrap it up burrito-style and gift it to you.

Unless there is a piece of cake to fight over (and believe me I’ll claw your eyes out for that) why do I want to watch others try to win something in a sport I never even knew existed?

The Box Stacking Competition has gotten out of hand.

Also, I know everyone says that the Olympics are some feel-goodery where entire countries can come together in the sheer pleasure of the sport and band together in harmony but I call bullshit on that.

It’s a competition. It’s bound to foster deep seated feelings (AKA hatred) between countries. Just own it Olympics. Change the tagline to: “Our country will kick your country’s ass. And we’ll like it.”

4. The Commentators. OHDEARGOD.

Sports commentary makes me seize up and want to punch something. Something preferably with teeth and a microphone. I imagine this is how men feel when the View is on (hell, I feel that way). I cannot handle the inane commentary and banter between Ryan what-the-fuck Seacrest and Bob Costas and the Cookie Monster.

Everyone is special. Everyone has a wonderful, glorious story that you just must know about. And hear. Again. And again.

I like to train for the Olympics by searching trash cans for empty Coke cans and then punting them into the air. I’m special. Write a story about me.

So special.

Or there’s the whole obvious but unnecessary narration of monologue: “He [insert your choice of swimmer’s name] has a tattoo on the back of his neck. It’s in the shape of a seal. Some say it symbolizes his deep seated love of water. What a blessing this man is to the aquatic industry…”

Thanks guys. I’ll be sure to log that away for later reference.

Those are my reasons. Maybe not very valid but I stand by them. I don’t love the Olympics.

I love America. I love apple pie and Patrick Swayze and fireworks and peace and love and motherfucking love. After all, what more could you really want?

Cake.

Yes. Cake.

Lois

August 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Against my expectations I have entered into the spirit of it… I’m English but was really furious that once again London takes over the country as if anywhere else across the United Kingdom just doesn’t exist… but from the wonderful opening ceremony I got drawn in. I don’t watch much of it, but have enjoyed what I’ve seen and there has been some great journalism… Michael deacon is a political commentator but he has been hilarious on the Olympics : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/search/?queryText=deacon&Search=

Kent Rogne

August 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I would have guessed the male swimmer’s tattoo would have signified his undying love for Heidi Klum’s ex-husband.
    I, too, am fascinated by “Rythmic Gymnastics”, to put the proper title to the “twirly” events.
    It would be way more exciting if Annie Lennox participated, then it would be the “Eurythmics Gymnastics”….but I digress,… I hate the competitions as a whole,.. except for women’s beach volleyball. I’m pretty sure you undestand why.

August 6, 2012 at 1:37 am

Oh yes. I can bet why you like women’s volleyball. for the sheer sportsmanship i’m sure.

Kent Rogne

August 6, 2012 at 3:48 am

Yes, for the sheer sportswoomenship aspect most certainly!!!!
        I had no idea how cold it was in London until the USA v. Chez
        Republic match this evening. ;-)!

Berit

August 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

😀 So glad to hear it’s not just me that dislikes the Olympics. For me the entire thing is Speeeshull Olympics all around.

In Norway, disliking sports, and definitely winter sports and football, is “un-Norwegian”.

August 6, 2012 at 1:38 am

Haha, thanks for reading Berit. Happy to find another “non-lover”. 😉

August 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Right on sister! Right there with ya on this. I’d rather have my gums scraped or a proctology exam while being forced to listen to the Captain and Tennile boxed set. I hate all the bogus nationalism, the sappy pathos, the uber patriotism, plus the fact that they dumped the Tug of War event after only one season and I’m not even mentioning this year’s badminton debacle! I’d rather see a couple of drunk carnies throwing darts or the Hoses, Bibles and Guns event at the local dirt track.

Berit

August 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm

So right Michael! 😀

And what about the sickening feeling that the whole thing is partly about the money and showing off brand names and ads, and celebrating self-interest instead of cooperation, disguised as self-mastery and “personal sacrifice”?

August 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Totally ~ and unfortunately the athletes are pawns in the whole charade ~ co-opted and programmed from the time they are too young to be aware of it.

August 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

and also ~ I am relieved that I’m not the only one who watches Ancient Aliens ~ you have no idea how much shit I take for that ~ or whose bedroom looks like a Santería altar.

August 6, 2012 at 1:38 am

YES. ANOTHER person who is a “non-lover” and likes Ancient Aliens. So giddy right now. Thanks for the read MGM.

Marsha Stewart

August 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Well done Julia. I haven’t been watching them either. I feel the same about football commentators. Bores me to tears. I do make an exception though and will watch Olympic tennis. Federer is lovely. I heard the Queen looked really bored as well. You are in good company there.

August 6, 2012 at 1:39 am

thanks mom! i knew you’d feel the same way about the commentators.

Joani Reese (JP Reese)

August 6, 2012 at 12:51 am

This is hilarious. Don’t tell, but I agree. I’d rather clean ten cat boxes than sit through Ryan Seacrest and Bob (drooly-eyed) Costas wax eloquent on some bouncy little pre-pubescent’s triple digit seminal sow-cow flip rumba (or whatever).

August 6, 2012 at 1:40 am

Love the comment Joani. Let’s clean cat boxes together and make cookies. A fine time shall be had.