The Write Space (PUN!)

Everyone needs their own space. Isn’t that what serial killers always say?

Whether it’s the token man cave, hammock in the backyard, or porcelain throne, solitude is important. Epecially if you’re pushing or rubbing one out. But I digress….As writers I think that’s one thing we can agree on. Also, for me, it’s one thing—an important thing—I need to survive and be successful. I’m not speaking monetarily here in terms of success; success of the soul and the imagination.

I am the type who cannot do focused writing without being in my space. Sure, I can scribble on notepads at work and while driving and during epic dance-offs, but I can never be that person who escapes to a beach or a soiled motel room to write their masterpiece. To really sit down and write my stories I MUST sit my ass in this sweet, sweet, black, leathery chair.

Note the (firm) butt indentations

The writing habitats of famous authors astound me. Oh, to have Thoreau’s cabin at Walden Pond. Virginia Woolf’s Monks House, Stephen King’s attic office (which I feel may be suitably haunted) in Maine, Hemingway’s Key West Home…

Been there, bitches.

However odd, grandiose or even plain, all writing spaces are different and you do what you can to make it yours.

My writing space is a simple office downstairs in my home. I hesitate to describe the style since I cannot be trusted to decorate. But if my office were a Match.com profile it would read…

Sultry brick orange walls, and one chocolate brown one. Cluttered like crazy.  If you like bookcases filled to the brim, a case of vinyl, and a phrenology skull, then I’m for you. I have a map of Montana stuck to one wall, inspiration for my current work-in-progress. I like to surround myself with photos that make me giddy and remind me of where I’ve been.

God, if that doesn’t turn you on, nothing will.

And so here’s a little peek at mine (no touching):

Skulls and zombies. Life is complete.

CAT IN A CHAIR

Book boner.

Since I showed you mine, show me yours.

I want to see your space. The photos. The inspirations. The books on the shelf, shrunken heads on display, cats asleep in chairs (c’mon, we’re all writers, we have cats, people!), whiskey bottles lining the trash.

If you’re comfortable sharing, send me a snapshot of your favorite space, the one that best describes it, and I’ll feature them on my next blog.

Email to: julia.archer@gmail.com.

Kath

June 3, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Great post, Ju! I regret not having a space of my own to post for you. Sharing a 700 sqft, 1 bed apartment with a husband and a cat doesn’t really allow for “personal space”. I guess the closest thing to a creative hideaway would be my car? Depressing. Ha.

June 4, 2012 at 1:24 am

I’d take the car photo, cousin. Most preferably with a horse face.

downanddirtydesign

June 4, 2012 at 12:28 am

You must be in really good shape…your butt indentation looks NICE. Hahaha! Great post Julia! And I totally agree with you! I am not a “writer” but when I am writing a post I definitely love to have a space that is free from distraction. And yes, my cat is always there.

June 4, 2012 at 1:25 am

haha, why thank you. and yes, this post definitely goes for anyone with the creative juices that needs their own space.

June 4, 2012 at 2:14 am

I adore this post. Your office is sexy and absolutely does it for me. I love the Phrenology skull. It’s great.

You probably know we just bought a house and as we house hunted, I specifically looked for a writing nook in each one. When I’m finished with it, I’ll send you some before and afters, that okay?

My current writing spot is on the couch with my laptop on a pillow, my husband playing video games next to me. It’s kind of cozy.

June 5, 2012 at 12:52 am

Yes! Congrats on the new digs, HM. Please do send me a pic of your new writing space. I hope you make it as good as your current one sounds.

Tammie Yeager

June 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Jules, Work and I are enjoying your site. Thank you for all your great words.