Bloopers, Flash & Videotape

I have a piece up at Connotation Press (Thanks to the uber-fab Meg Tuite!) for this month of May. It’s actually a video reading of my flash fiction “An Ordinary Broken Heart”. Or if you like to do things the 1930s way, feel free to read it instead.

What no one tells you about video readings is that they are tricky bastards.

Now I’m not shy. The camera is my friend. I like to ham it up on occasion.

Yet having to read anything more than 200+ words and make it all the way through without so much as a stutter is challenging. I won’t pretend it isn’t.

Over two days, I went through numerous clothing changes, switched positions, changed inflection, to get it just right. Basically, I fumbled my way through it like a drunk freshmen on prom night, slurring my words and grasping for bra straps. The worst part of all of it is nearly making it all the way through the reading and then it all goes FUBAR with one misread.

So many takes. So many tries. Much cursing ensued.  And because of all these video-reading shenanigans I thought a blooper reel was in order.

Enjoy it here:

And again, big, for-real-real thanks to Connotation Press and Meg Tuite for not forcing me to wear a paper bag over my head as I read. Thank you!

May 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Haha! Really funny Jules. I watched the Connotation Press reading and remembered that you had referenced how hard it was to record and I thought WTF? This looks like it’s all good. But ALL is revealed in the Blooper reel. It’s a bitch. I’ve recorded a couple of CDs with my bands and it is totally insane trying NOT to fuck it up. Blooper reel=funny shit! Glad you made it!

May 16, 2012 at 3:12 am

haha – thanks MGM. YES! It’s so hard to do a video reading. Glad you think so too. Thought I’d showcase my mad, horrible reading skills and have a nice laugh. I have no qualms mocking myself.

James Claffey

May 15, 2012 at 10:27 pm

hi-larious!!!! been there, done that!

May 16, 2012 at 3:14 am

thanks James. glad you can appreciate the “other” side of video readings. haha!

megtuite

May 16, 2012 at 2:08 am

That was killer! I laughed my ass off, although I still have an ass unfortunately!!! Thank you for making video month all worthwhile! So DAMN hysterical!! xoxoox You rocket, Jules!

May 16, 2012 at 3:13 am

Aw, Meg thanks! You are just swoon-worthy! Glad I made you laugh your ass off!

Hubert O'Hearn

June 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Completely brilliant, Sundance awaits you!

June 3, 2012 at 6:23 am

Let’s go, Hubert!

Hubert O'Hearn

June 3, 2012 at 6:51 am

have tent + sleeping bag X spirit of adventure = angle qwe can sellto someone (Fear and Loathing at Sundance?) Let’s do it!