Jules Just Likes…

Here is a little bit of everything that I am enjoying at the moment and would like to share in commanding overtones.

Write It Sideways – http://writeitsideways.com/

Written by Susannah Windsor, and often guest authored, this blog gives writing tips that are actually helpful. It’s probably one of the best blogs that when read I sit-up and pay attention . She also links to great resources and references.

I subscribe and about once a week enjoy a newsletter delivered to my in-box full of frothy writerly goodness.

Great. Now I want a cappuccino.

The Hunger Games

"There's murder inside me."

I finished this book in about 4 days and it is as great as everyone is raving about. Typically, I try to steer clear of book trends or fads just because I’m a scoundrel that way and hate giving into the norm but I did. I gave into this. And it was well worth it. A great female character, riveting writing, and a few murder sprees thrown in, what more could a girl (or guy) want?

Fennel Salad

from the recipe book that curses more than I do: What The Fuck Should I Make for Dinner?

If the photo doesn’t spur you to make this delicious salad, than I will. I’ll stand behind you in the kitchen and poke you in the kidneys with a fork until you do.

It’s easy. Here’s how.

You will need:

1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced

3 ribs celery, thinly sliced

¼ cup pumpkin seeds

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 tbsp lemon juice

Salt & pepper (not the musical group)

¾ cup grated parmesan cheese

Combine fennel and celery in large bowl. Toast and salt the pumpkin seeds. Add those too. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, mustard, honey and lemon juice and season with the salt and pepper. Toss all that shit together. I grilled some chicken and then sliced that up and added it to the salad, so do this too if you’re a protein fiend or just like the aroma of poultry. Then top with grated parmesan.

BOOM. Done. Eat.

Now, this salad is addicting. The dressing is amazing and it’s got a great crunch because since I didn’t follow the directions, I hacked the fennel into huge chunks. But that’s how I roll.

Metazen

I keep having a love affair with Metazen. I really do. It’s my favorite online lit mag. The ballsy quirkiness of it keeps me coming back again and again. It’s not pretentious or too serious, it’s just good. And that’s what matters.

A recent piece on Metazen gave me the warm fuzzies: “I’m Your Boyfriend Dot Com” by Shaun Gannon. It’s different. Read it.

kathydfish

January 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Ha, love the recipe! I will try it, my debatably vegetarian self shall try it, heh. I should read Hunger Games, too. I will.

January 16, 2012 at 4:03 am

it is sooo good, kathy. you must try.

January 16, 2012 at 4:16 am

I will make the fennel salad and also loves the metezan. Are we allowed to talk about Frank Hinton here? I’d like to talk about her. She makes my brain go boom.

And The Hunger Games. I’d just like to say I read it before it was popular and pushed it on my reading friends like a drug. “Read this so we can talk about it.” I even made my husband read it and we don’t read the same things EVAR. He liked it.

You’re fun.

January 16, 2012 at 4:17 am

How about I spell Metazen incorrectly when it’s right there above me? DONE.

January 16, 2012 at 4:25 am

YES. I love me some Frank Hinton. I know – same with me and my husband, HM. He shall read the Hunger Games. I will be sure of that. I love your misspellings. I go BOOM.

January 16, 2012 at 4:25 am

Did I spell misspell wrong? I can’t be bothered to look it up.

hcfitzpa

January 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I love the Hunger Games… Just finished the series and am so curious about the movie due in March.

Also, did a double take because My Quirky City is totally the same wordpress theme. Love it!

January 19, 2012 at 2:54 am

I need to finish the series – am eager to see where it goes and definitely see the movies too. Yea, love this theme! Thanks for reading!

Stephanie

January 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You got me on the fennel salad. I’m going to make it.

February 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I gotta say this book totally cracks me up. Zach Golden’s tone is absolutely classic. He sounds exactly like a friend of mine who is a painter (fine art) in Brooklyn. The recipes are really great and they are simple and delicious. Guaranteed to break you out of that gastronomic corner you have painted yourself into. It’s a little like having your own private drill seargeant barking profanity laced orders at you in the kitchen. Boot camp for home chefs, chief cooks and bottle washers. Wusses need not apply.

February 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hah, I know, isn’t the book great? Glad you like it and glad it fills your kitchen with choice swears.