2012 Goals, Easy as Your Mom

Let’s talk 2012 goals.

And not those pesky ones either, like how you’re going to join a gym this year and swear off carbs or how you’ll only reverse-speak to your co-workers while you do some sort of fantastic eyeball-popping dance like that dwarf in that one Twin Peaks episode we all worship.

Oh wait, that's just me

What I want to talk about are the goals you will make in 2012 for your passions. Your true loves. And if you’re reading this blog, they probably have something to do with reading and writing, like my own.

Read More Books by Women Authors

I am making it a goal to only read works by female authors during the first three months of 2012. After reviewing my book tally for 2011 (more on this later) I realized the majority of those authors have dicks. That’s all fine and dandy but I need to expand my horizons; get into books of a female mindset and support female authors.

I am crediting this idea to Inga Muscio, author of Cunt, who says, “It’s not a bad idea…to focus solely on the artistic expressions of women for at least one year. That way you notice not only the…prevalence of male artistic expression much more, but the mother lode of inspiration and brilliance our grandmothers, mothers and sisters have produced.”

While I’m not willing to give up Stephen King for a year, I am ready and able to immerse myself solely for three months. And after that three months, incorporate more female authors into my reading diet.

Bring on Dorothy Parker and Mary Roach and Kathy Fish.

Finish my Zombie Novella

Not much to say on this. Just, in the words of Larry the Cable guy, “Git-er-done.”

Pray for me.

Not you, Willem DaFoe

Join a Writer’s Conference

I recently read an awesome article on a blog I follow called 5 Reasons to Sign Up For a Writer’s Conference (check it out, it’s a great resource).

And I’m gonna do it.

Maybe.

I found one that’s in Arizona at ASU in February and while I want to do it, it is a bit nerve-wracking. Thoughts like, “Am I ready for this?”, “Can I pass as a writer?”, “They’re all gonna laugh at me,” do run through my brain from time to time, but like Rob Lowe* starring in the Drew Peterson: Untouchable story, I think I can get over it.

But just barely.

I-I really have no words for this

I think it would be a good thing. Writing is so solitary, it would be nice to emerge, blinking into the light and interact with some writers. Share writing, make connections, and learn from these experiences.

Now to get the time off work and the cold hard cash.

Apparently, Emilio Estevez really takes writing conferences seriously

See that? Three goals, easy as your mom. And while I am lazy and could probably shell out some more ideas, I’m keeping with three goals because I feel they are doable.

Any more would probably wreck my sanity (not that that’s saying much) and impede on my daily slackerness.

So tell me your tales. Tell me your goals. What do you hope to accomplish in 2012, personally and/or professionally?

*And yes. I try to make a Rob Lowe reference at least once a month.

December 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Jules there is no doubt you will reach your goals for 2012. Anyone with a sense of humor like yours cannot fail! HAPPY NEW YEAR and keep us posted, as always, with your light and lovely insights into life and writing.

December 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Cool, funny and inspiring post Jules! Definitely made me smile and think at the same time, and they actually go pretty well together. I’d rather be smiling and thinking than posing like a Rodin sculpture! I am at the 50 yard line cheering you on to “GO FOR IT” in respect to the writers conference. I participated in amazing conference at Omega Institute in Rhinebeck New York in August and it was absolutely life changing. It has expanded my network and positively affected my practice as a writer in ways I can’t even measure! Happy Holidays – keep writing and I’ll keep reading! Excelsior!

December 19, 2011 at 3:28 am

I so love this, Jules.

You will KILL IT at a writer’s conference. Really. Writing is such a solitary thing, it is wonderful (and a little scary) to find people who are kind of like you. I’ve been to three writer’s conferences in Florida (and crashed the very big RWA one when it was in Orlando). Each experience left me inspired and elated. You should do it. Don’t be skeered. Besos.

putouttopasture

December 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I think a writer’s conference is *write* up your alley! (get it?!)
    I definitely think you should do it…and it’s perfect that it is in Feburary!
    I would not advise signing up for an ASU course in the summer- I have had too many experiences trying to find a parking spot & having to walk more than a mile in the scorching sun, while sweat is causing my make-up run down my sun-streaked red face. As you can tell, I am a bit traumatized by ASU in the summertime.

Anywhoo, do it! I think you would blow people away & it would be a great outlet for you to grow even more as a writer.

My goals for 2012: to stop apologizing for my vagina (YOU know what I am talking about) & to start my furniture blog (that I be passionate about for at least a few months).

xoxoxo

Kath

December 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm

PUN!!! Yes!

kathydfish

December 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Jules! And I’m rooting for you, for your goals of 2012. Haven’t quite figured mine out yet. And you are more than ready for that writers conference. You’ll show them all what’s what, that’s what you’ll do!

December 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

Thank you all for the encouragement! So very appreciated.

@Susan – Thanks for reading and for always reminding me about wrinkly elbows. Cannot wait to read your new book!

@Michael and Harley – you both have made me so excited to do a writers conference now! I must sign up. Thanks for reading you two.

@Sister – YES, I applaud your NY goal of “Stop apologizing for your vagina”. I think all of us need to do this. No more “sorries” unless necessary, AMIRIGHT?

@Kath – YOU SO SMART

@Kathy Fish – Thanks so much Kathy. I admire you as a writer and appreciate the nudge in the right direction.

Charles Huschle

January 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Flannery O’Connor, another great woman writer. Try her. Maybe you’ll like her?

January 27, 2012 at 3:04 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Charles. Will check her out!