Hog Heaven

by Jules Archer

She left her husband for the hog.

Or maybe it was Carl with his bald head and fat wallet. Carl and his leather jacket with its frayed patches and military pins. He bought her a drink in some roadhouse on the outskirts of the frail town she called a home. Slapped down a hundred dollar bill to buy her a Miller Light. Yelled at the waitress for bringing back Budweiser. They danced to Three Dog Night and when they were done Carl introduced her to his bike. They took a ride and she never came back.

Now, her hair tangles in the whipping wind so she cuts it short. Spiky.  Carl gets her a leather jacket complete with her own pin. She flips the collar up, laces her boots tight. They follow Carl’s motorcycle club all over the southwest, seeing desert and red rocks.

She and Carl stay in cheap motels, lay on soft white sheets next to each other. She dangles fingertips on top of Carl’s open palm. He calls her darlin’ and kisses her with a rough beard.

She really can’t be sure why she left.

All she does know is she rides that damn bike so well it’s a sin.

polishsnausage

March 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm

This rules. I want a motorcycle now. And of note, I sing karaoke at a bar called The Roadhouse. I like to think it’s an homage to The Swayze, because well, that’d be super friggin’ awesome.

March 21, 2011 at 12:31 am

Funny, tough, and sweetly nostalgic all rolled into one great story!

March 21, 2011 at 5:04 am

@Erin – we need to get our Swayze fix on, soulmate. Thank ya.

@Susan – thank you so much! Appreciate you giving this a read.

Tommy Salami

March 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Woo, I want to read this book.
    So git to writing more :)

putouttopasture

March 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Another amazing story yet again. And it’s like I was there…with Carl. I don’t know how to explain it. Guess we should have taken that bike ride? : )
    Great job Julia- it is always a pleasure to be invited to read your wonderful stories!

brian

March 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Great stuff as always. Are the responders aliases meant to pay homage to the ‘hog’, or is there just a lot of love for pork on here?

March 23, 2011 at 4:34 am

@Tommy – Uhhhh….more? 😉

@Pasture – Little sister, I love ya.

@Brian – Wise catch…I hadn’t even noticed that. There’s a lot of love for pork on here. Something I’m sure you appreciate.